Inaugural Open House: Monday October 22
The Icelandic Centre for Research and the Polar Research Institute of China (PRIC) host the inauguration of the China-Iceland Joint Aurora Observatory on October 22 in Kárhóll, North Iceland.
The unique location of Kárhóll allows for polar upper atmosphere observations of auroras, geomagnetic field variations and other phenomena to provide data critical to understanding solar-terrestrial interactions and space weather. Work conducted at the observatory will strengthen scientific understanding of space and the universe.
• Hallgrímur Jónasson, Director of the Icelandic Centre for Research
• Huigen Yang, Director-General of the Polar Research Institute of China (PRIC)
• H.E. Lilja Dögg Alfreðsdóttir, Minister of Education, Science and Culture, Iceland
• Ambassador Jin Zhijian, Ambassador of the People's Republic of China to the Republic of Iceland
• Larry Hinzman, President of the International Arctic Science Committee (IASC)
• H.E. Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson, Chairman Arctic Circle, President of Iceland 1996-2016