I hope you are all having a good beginning to 2016! We have a few updates related to activities stemming from the Polar Data Forum II:
1. The Forum Communiqué is online! Please access it at the following link and share widely with your colleagues to promote collaboration and good practice in data management activities:
2. The PDF II Knowledge Bank has been updated with your oral and poster presentations: http://pdfii.knohow.co Please check out your files there (each presenter should have an Abstract file plus either a Presentation or a Poster file) and let me know if you have any questions. Please note that many of the poster files are just the single slide that was used for the Lightning Talks
- if you would like to have your full poster available online, please send it to me and I will forward it to Paul.
NOTE: I understand we should instead have files in the “PDF Archive”
format (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/A), so we will be working on this for preserving the presentation files for the long term!
3. The deadline for the PDF II Special Issue in the Data Science Journal has been extended, and funding has been made available to pay the publishing charges for a limited number of papers! We have a few submissions to date but would like to have at least 8-10 papers for the Special Issue. Please contact myself or Peter Pulsifer if you are planning to submit a manuscript or if you have questions. Further details are available at the PDF II website:
4. I understand that the Live Stream from the Forum is still available online for viewing those presentations you may have missed:
Tuesday, 27 October, 1:00 PM to 5:30 PM Eastern time:
Wednesday, 28 October, 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Eastern time:
Thursday, 29 October, 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Eastern time:
NOTE: We will also be archiving these videos in a permanent storage location, in keeping with our community mandate to preserve data and information for future availability! :)
Please let us know if you have questions or comments anytime. We look forward to another year of working together with you for polar data!
Julie and the PDF II organizers
Julie E. Friddell, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Canadian Cryospheric Information Network/Polar Data Catalogue Department of Geography & Environmental Management University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
1-519-888-4567 x 32689